Wednesday, July 21, 2010

chocolate awakening

This morning has been meh. There has been a slew of ups and downs already and it's barely afternoon! I got up today sore from my two miles yesterday, so I had to cut down on my daily elliptical. Then I rushed baked some cookies because I had a friend coming over at 10 to help me with the motorcycle. He got here, we went outside, and the bike wouldn't start. And it wouldn't start. And it wouldn't start. And then it started! I got to go up and down the driveway maybe three times and then it cut off! And it wouldn't start. (See where this is going?) Eventually he told me to go get it looked at, because carburetors are beyond him. So we went inside to eat cookies.


Let me tell you, I've never liked chocolate. In fact, I didn't like chocolate so much that I would not eat the cookie part of a chocolate chip cookie because I could taste the chocolate in it.

Normally I would fake eat one, because that's the easy thing to do when people don't know you don't something but you made it for them. But my baked good deprivation has lead me to do insane things. I wolfed down my cookie, chocolate and all. And I was really happy to do it. It was delicious.

I figured I'd put up the recipe because these cookies have have forever changed my mind on chocolate.


Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Cookies
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter- room temperature (I use salted)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 light brown sugar- packed
1 large egg- room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup butterscotch chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together on a piece of wax paper.
Cream butter until light and fluffy, add granulated sugar and light brown sugar and beat until the mixture doesn't feel gritty
Add the egg and vanilla and reduce speed to low. Blend until combined
Slowly add the flour mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed
Turn off the mixer and add the chocolate and butterscotch chips, mix them in with a rubber spatula
Shape heaping teaspoons into rough balls and place on two ungreased cookie sheets
Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown
Let sit for two minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack



Even I think these are yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment